About the Episode
Marriage. The joining of two souls as one. Without a tiny, shiny rock, does it even mean anything?
This week, Colin chats about the biggest engagement scam ever – diamond rings, while Sierra explains why garlands are the best DIY home decor. Join us as we learn about colonialist men, do some myth busting, and discover how one woman transformed the entire wedding industry with just four words.
Photos from the Episode
Subjects CoveredDiamonds • Chocolate Diamonds • Lab Grown Diamonds • Manmade Diamonds • How Diamonds Are Made • Diamond Myths • Diederik De Beer • Johannes De Beer • De Beers Mine • Cecil Rhodes • De Beers Group • Ernest Oppenheimer • Diamond Monopoly • N.W. Ayer and Son • Mary Frances Gerety • A Diamond Is Forever • The Slogan of the Century • Ann Landers • Homosexuality • Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend • Advertising • Engagement Rings • Recycling For Men •
- De Beers Group - A Diamond is Forever
- Truefacet - What Makes Diamonds Valuable?
- Wikipedia - Diamonds
- Wikipedia - De Beers
- The Ad-Woman Who Made 'A Diamond Is Forever'
- Britannica - NW Ayer & Son
- Wikipedia - N.W. Ayer & Son
- Wikipedia - Mary Frances Gerety
- AAAA - Unforgettable De Beers Tagline
- Washington Post - Why A Diamond is Forever Lasted So Long
- Wikipedia - Engagement Ring
- YouTube - Frances Gerety - Data Analysis with R
- YouTube - Susan Credle On A Diamond is Forever
- Ad Age - Slogan of the Century (with a lame paywall)
- Google News - "Where to go for help when homosexuality hits the family"
- Men Less Likely to Recycle Because They're Worried They'll Look Gay
- BBC - Why is Cecil Rhodes a Controversial Figure?