About the Episode
Vernon, Florida, is home to some very special people with very special ideas. What were those ideas? Insurance fraud.
Sierra learns that you can lose arm to other things besides sharks and machinery, while Colin talks about a subset of people that tried to take advantage of the American health care system. Join us as we talk about different methods needed to shoot your hand off, Sierra’s dreams of becoming a gay nightclub DJ, and what *should’ve* started the gun reform movement.
Photos from the Episode
Subjects CoveredNub City • Vernon, Florida • Julija Adlesic • Li Thi N • Chung Kyu Chil • Xenomelia • Errol Morris • Gay Club DJs •
- AllThatsInteresting.com on Nub City
- BBC: Vietnam woman 'cuts off limbs for insurance payout'
- Thanh Nien News: Women hired man to cut off hand, foot in insurance scam
- AP News: Slovenian woman cut off her hand for insurance payout
- BBC World: Woman who sawed off own hand found guilty of fraud
- Chicago Tribune: SOUTH KOREAN MAN'S FEET CUT OFF IN INSURANCE SCAM
- QZ.com - Xenomelia
- Frontiers in Psychology: Xenomelia: A Social Neuroscience View of Altered Bodily Self-Consciousness
- Wikipedia: Vernon, Florida
- Wikipedia: Vernon, Florida (film)
- Mental Floss: Vernon, Florida Insurance Scams
- NY Post: Body Integrity Identity Disorder